Love, Served Quietly — A Wife Appreciation Day Letter to My Wife Arti
Love, Served Quietly
On romance, care, and the love that never announced itself.

What I Once Thought Romance Was
I used to think romance had a soundtrack.
Flowers. Dinners. Gifts. Anniversaries remembered on time. Love as something that walks into a room and announces itself.
Life gave me a different definition.
Romance is not the opposite of ordinary days. Sometimes it is what survives them.
The Language She Speaks
My wife is not a woman of speeches.
She speaks in a cup of tea placed beside my laptop after an argument. She speaks in a glass of milk put in my hand on an evening when neither of us had the strength to talk.
None of it says “I love you.” All of it does.
But the loudest things she ever said to me, she said without saying anything at all.
The First Fall
There was a time when my finances collapsed completely.
Money ran out for the household, for medicines, for EMIs, for rent. Some days, even for food.
I was a man who had always believed he was the provider, and I had nothing left to provide.
She had every right to ask: What now? Where will we go? How will we survive? How did this happen?
She asked none of those questions.
No scolding. No anger. No “don’t worry, I’ll manage.”
She Stepped Out
After ten years as a homemaker, she simply stepped out and joined a Japanese corporate packaging firm as Manager, MIS & Logistics.
She had been running the logistics of our home for years. Now she ran the logistics of a company by day, and of our survival by night.
She took responsibility inside the house and outside it. And she never once made it feel like a sacrifice.
Some people rescue you and then remind you of it for years. She rescued me and never mentioned it.
“I Already Knew”
After four or five months, I found a job.
That evening I told her: “Dear, now it’s time to think again. If you enjoy working, then keep working. But please don’t do this job because of our problems. That time is over. I’m back on track.”
She looked at me and said, calmly:
“I already knew. No need to discuss it. I have already submitted my resignation.”
She had been a step ahead the entire time.
Looking back, that job feels like a bridge she built through a difficult time. She took it when we needed it, and chose to leave when I found my footing again. Through it all, she never made me feel that her love was a debt I had to repay.
This is trust.
This is love.
This is care, in another form.
I believed the storm had passed.
The Second Fall
It had not.
What came next was the worst situation of my life, and it was worse than the money.
The job went. Professional friends went. Family disappeared from my life. Friends, one by one, found a reason to be somewhere else.
Almost everyone had gone. Arti had not.
And the advice went to her. Everyone told her the same thing: leave him.
I understood why they said it.
She did not take their advice.
When it felt as though the whole world was against me, she was the one standing tall. She faced every trouble. She carried every risk. And once again, without a single speech, she made it possible for me to get back on track.
Some people are loyal when it is easy. She stayed when it was the hardest thing in the world to do.
She Sees Through “Nothing”
One quiet Sunday we did almost nothing. Tea, conversation, a meal, some television. At some point I realised I had not touched my phone for an hour, and I smiled.
She noticed.
“What?”
“Nothing.”
“You always say nothing when it is something.”
That is romance too: to be known so well that your silence has a meaning she can read. Many people notice when you are falling. She noticed the first moment I began to rise.
Arti
Today I am writing.
Today I am alive.
Today I am breathing.
Today I am who I am.
Only, and only, because of you.
I dedicated my first book to your quiet strength. But some things do not fit inside a dedication, so here they are.
Thank you for stepping out when I had nothing left to offer.
Thank you for leaving that job as quietly as you took it.
Thank you for staying when everyone told you to go.
Thank you for never turning your fear into blame.
Thank you for the sentence that changed how I apologise:
“You have already said sorry.
Then do something with it.”
I am trying, every day.
For years you told me you loved me in tea and milk and silence, and you never once announced it. So let me announce it, loudly, for both of us, just this once:
I love you, Arti.
The most in my life.
More than my breath.
And tonight, let me be the one who places the cup beside you and walks away without a word.
You will know what it means.
Happy Wife Appreciation Day.
With love,
Saurabh
If someone in your life loves you without announcing it, tell them today. They will probably never ask.
Comments
Post a Comment